Walking in the Holy Spirit
Recap: The Holy Spirit is a person – He is not a “it”; He is God - the third person of the Holy Trinity. Baptism of the Spirit at new birth; Be filled with God’s Spirit: be controlled by God’s Spirit.
God’s Spirit brought life and light to chaos, darkness and confusion (Genesis 1:1-3).
In the OT, the Holy Spirit came upon God’s men and women to carry out his will (Ezekiel 11:5).
In the NT, the Holy Spirit indwells us John 14:15-18,26. Therefore, we cannot pray: “Holy Spirit come down on us”. He is omnipresent; His presence in us is permanent: uninterrupted presence and power; our prayer should be: “Holy Spirit have more of me”. Then we can experience his power and presence.
The Holy Spirit has a ministry towards believers – He is called: The Helper. He enables us to live a godly life and serve God and bear much fruit;
- He gives us an assurance that we are children of God (Romans 8:15-16).
- He makes the scriptures come alive and speak to their hearts – He is the teacher (John 14:26).
- He works through their conscience to convict and convince and guide (Romans 9:1 GNT).
- He is our companion, supporter, encourager and guide (John 14:26).
- He produces the fruit of the Spirit in us (Galatians 5:22-23).
We need to: be aware of God's Spirit; be sensitive to him and develop a great intimacy with him
Walking in the Spirit: Galatians 5:16-26. The flesh wants to lead us outside of God’s will and plan for our lives (the part in us which desires what is contrary to God’s will). You either walk by the flesh or walk by the Spirit; there is no middle ground.
- Walking in the Spirit begins with offering our bodies as a living sacrifice (Romans 12:1). When you do this, God’s Spirit releases his power into your life.
- Allow Holy Spirit to renew your mind by meditating on God’s Word – Mind of God. Romans 12:2. Refusing to conform to the world – worldly wisdom and thoughts. Christians pick and choose from God’s Word what they want to believe. For us believers, God has rendered the flesh powerless in our lives. (Galatians 5:24).
Are you feeding the flesh? (Romans 8:5-8). Walking in the flesh or in the Spirit rests on where you set your mind
- Obey God in every part of our lives. Galatians 5:26 NLT. This is the biggest problem for many Christians. There are areas of their lives they don’t want to surrender to God.
- kill off (put to death) works of the flesh (Romans 8:12-13) - actions become habit and habit become character. The more you say to the flesh, the stronger you become in your spirit. God’s Spirit gives you the power to do God’s will and say no to the flesh.
- Obey the prompting of God’s Spirit as he speaks to your heart. Often we are hindered from receiving the Spirit’s prompting because of sin in our lives. Beware of hardening of heart (Hebrews 3:15): sin brings confusion in our minds. When you cleanse your life from the deeds of the flesh, your heart and mind are open to his voice. We develop our sensitivity to God’s Spirit in prayer. Illustration: The day I got employed at Kirkum’s company – Papa Jacques.
Evidence of walking in God’s Spirit: Ephesians 5:18-21
- Praise God; Joy of God’s Spirit (Ephesians 5:19)
- Edify others by using the gifts of the Spirit (Ephesians 5:19)
- Humbleness and keeping unity (Ephesians 5:21 vs. Galatians 5:26)
- Boldness in our witness (Acts 4:31)
- Love and serving others; fruits of God’s Spirit (Galatians 5:22-23)
- Desire the things of the Spirit (Ref.). The things of the flesh are generally appealing and convenient.
Begin to walk in the awareness of God’s Spirit and take steps let him guide your life. He will give the power to live a godly life and have a fruitful ministry.
A few Scriptures:
Galatians 5:16 (New Living Translation) So I say, let the Holy Spirit guide your lives. Then you won't be doing what your sinful nature craves. 26 Since we are living by the Spirit, let us follow the Spirit's leading in every part of our lives.
Romans 9:1 (GNT) I am speaking the truth; I belong to Christ and I do not lie. My conscience, ruled by the Holy Spirit, also assures me that I am not lying