Oneness in the church of Jesus
What is the church? Matthew 16:18-19
The church is not a building or an organization.
- Church = Ekklesia – Called out ones (Called out of the world); Assembly of all the saints or universal church. When you become born-again, Christ baptizes you in the church.
- Local church: local expression of the universal church. Example: church in Jerusalem (Acts 8:1), in Corinth (1 Cor. 1:2), in Ephesus, Sonrise, etc. It is God’s will for us to fellowship as a local church Hebrews 10:24-25.
Facts about the church:
- Funded and built by the Lord Jesus
- Divine possession: “My church” Matthew 16:18-19, He paid the price 1 Cor. 6:19-20
- Cannot be conquered or defeated: See Gamaliel Statement Acts 5:33-39
The Bible describes the church as:
- Body of Christ Romans 12:5
- b. Bride of Christ Eph. 5:26-28, Rev. 21:2
- c. Family of God Eph. 2:19
- d. Temple of God Eph. 2:21
- e. God’s Army Phil.2:25 - Fellow soldiers
- f. Pillar and Ground of the truth 1 Timothy 3:15
2. Ministry of the church
Ministry = diakonia (Ephesians 4:12) : to be an attendant, wait upon a host or a friend, serveIn general, Ministry is synonymous with service
A. Ministry to God: Acts 13:2 Ministry NKJV or Worship NLF. Is it only with our lips? See Mark 7:6; Is it only on Sunday? Is it only in one place?Worship is not only part of your life; it is your life – Romans 12:1-2.
- Love God (with all your heart, mind, soul and strength) and please him.
- Glorify and honour God
B. Ministry to its own members
- Equipped, trained and prepared for service – not to seat around Ephesians 4:12. It so sad that many Christians are indifferent or think that ministry if for select people.
- God has gifted for service Romans 12:6-8
C. Ministry to the world – Evangelism:
- As you go about your daily life, you need be a witness Matthew 18:18-20. You don’t need to quit your job and be a missionary. Start at home, at your work place, with your neighbours, etc.
Example: Andy Stanley
We understand who the church is and how we fit individually as members of the body.Example: symphony orchestra-Instruments in tune. Therefore, we should not be indifferent:
- Participate in the ministry of the church
- Grow spiritually – Do not attend church only on Sunday – Take a daily time in
God’s Word; Have a desire for the things of God.
- Be bold Acts 4:29 – take advantage of an opportunity
- Pray for the church
Matthew 16:16-18; Hebrews 10:24-25; 1 Corinthians 6:19-20; Romans 1:1-7; Ephesians 2:19 -24; Acts 1:32 ; Mark 7:6; Acts 4:29.