Gifted by the Spirit
The Holy Spirit has given each one of us a gift (Romans 12:7, 11). We are the body of Christ and Christ has assigned a function to each one of us as a member of the body (1 Corinthians 12:12; Romans 12:4).
Illustration: Unwrapped gift/gift unwrapped and wrapped again – How will the friend donor feel?
- Holy Trinity 1 Corinthians 12:5-7 Spirit gives the gift, the Lord Jesus is served and the Father works.
- Why God’s Spirit has given us gifts?
For the edification of his church (1 Corinthians 12:7, 31).
Not for self-gratification.
- Mark of the true gifts of the Spirit
They glorify Christ – not idols, not men (1 Corinthians 12:3)
- Gift are effective when we use them out of love (1 Corinthians 14:1, Romans 12:9-10). They are meaningless when not used out love (1 Corinthians 13: 2).
- Gifts are important
- Discover and Use them (1 Peter 4:10)
- Do not neglect them (1 Timothy 4:14)
- Desire them (1 Corinthians 14:12)
- Fan into flame: use them passionately; stir up (2 Timothy 1:6)
Why many are not fruitful in the body of Christ? They do the opposite of the 4 points: Not use, neglect, do not desire, buried underground
- Unfortunately many wants to serve but focus only on certain gifts: Pastoral, Prophecy
- Discuss some of the gifts:
- Prophecy: Speak by God’s Spirit (1 Corinthians 14:3; Ephesians 5:18-21 Insubordination, pride spoil the gift)
- Word of Wisdom: Understanding, direction – Example: Joseph, Apply God’s Word in people’s lives - James
- Help: Romans 12:28 volunteer, use their hands – Illustration: build Papa Rapha
- Service: Romans 12:7; 1 Peter 4:11 Cleaning, decorate
- Giving: Romans 12:8 Poor widow; Gaius – Hospitality
- Administration: Organize 1 Corinthians 12:28 NKJV …then gifts of healings, helps, administrations, varieties of tongues
- Mercy: Romans 12:8 listen with empathy, visit, make great intercessors
- Exhortation: Encouragement Romans 12:8
- Leadership: Romans 12:8 Courage, communicate vision
- Discerning of the spirits: 1 Corinthians 12:10 Paul and the slave girl – spirit of divination